Friday, August 21, 2009

8/21

the crowd was vicious, screaming the lobster man down. master chu had just released his finishing move, 'the golden chop' which sent the lobster to davey jones locker. when the ring had been cleared the emcee came to the microphone, 'a tale as old as the bible itself,' he growled, 'brother against brother, we bring you cain and abeeeelllllllllllll.'
there was hissing, beer cans exploding against my cage. originally i was supposed to be lead in by a leash hollering how i was going to destroy abel, but the promoter thought it would add more suspense to be the quiet villian sitting in the center of a cage, to dangerous to allow to walk. beside the cage were my handlers, two fat men with curled mustaches that doubled as parking lot attendants. the handlers pushed onlookers away when they tried to rattle the bars, all the while i did what i was told, sitting in the center of the cage eyes half closed dreamily rubbing my belly.
the music thunder across the elks lodge causing dart trophy's to rattle against bowling pictures inside their glass case, while inside my mind rattled with strategy.
when we arrived at the ring the handlers swung open the door and leaped back as if i was going to bite their fingers. slowly i rose and made my way to the ropes, pulling one up i slid inside and took my corner. here the lights went out and the organist began to play a traditional hymn. here talents were beyond reach and the notes so beautiful as to take the breath and bring on a tear.
through the darkness there came a piercing spot light focused directly on the center of the ring. as the music played and the light blared abel, my brother, glistened while descending from the roof dressed in a white robe. his athletic body shimmered in the light causing women to hoot and men to applaud.
when he arrived on the mat he did not look towards me, but rather, floated towards his corner raising one arm towards the sky and causing a standing ovation. the apple of the town's eye he could do no wrong, while in the other corner my stomach pressed uncomfortably against the lycra of my singlet overalls as a small child threw a soda at my head. through the chaos, anger and uncomfortableness i tried to focus on his movements looking for a weakness.
the bell rang, and when we met i quickly came to the realization that cain would not be besting abel.
his talent consumed me as arms shot, lifted manipulated me until i spun towards the ropes, towards the sky down to the mat and into the pin position. as the crowd cheered and he applied the pressure our overalls making an awkward sound being pressed to close together.
'submit' he whispered.
the rpessure to great, the stomach gave up the fight and before the referee could count to three abel suddenly sprang off and raced towards his corner. the referee arm in mid air fell sideways into unconsciousness followed quickly be the front row.
i lay in the ring crying, holding my hands to my face until king wallop appeared lifting me into his arms and carrying me backstage. it was here that my mother bathed me singing neil diamond's 'forever in blue jeans.
though it is true, i soiled myself, i look back and celebrate the draw, standing toe to toe with boise's greatest athlete and coming up even.

No comments:

Post a Comment