Friday, January 8, 2010

the comedian 5...

i use to work the graveyard shift at a gas station. graveyard is when the drunks come, the drugs come the shadows of human beings come. it was after i committed to wearing the bag but before i was fully committed to performing.

a joke
drunk: what happened to your face?
comedian: your girlfriends crotch.

there was always a police cruiser going by the station so fights would be quickly broken up. the fights themselves would always be blamed on the drunk or the doped up, who then were booked on a d.u.i.
the owner of the station was a semi rich asian. a first generation short man with hard slick black hair. he would rarely come around during my shift and if he did it was more to assure my well being than to watch over me.
this was during the summer when the nights were warm enough to stand all shift in. the burlap covering my face would cause the skin to sweat and burn. my uniform was of my choosing save the attendant work shirt which i wore over my pale blue suit. one must always be aware of what one is pursuing.
i remember my third open mic i heard a groan in the audience.

a joke
why are asians so good at math?
no r's.

it was afterward that i handed over my work shirt with a heavy heart. he knew it was a joke and not a true heartfelt position but there are just some bridges you can not uncross. i appreciated the help that mr. lu had given me and took the position that god's will be done.
it was late august and i was now left with only the comedian.
i am thinking of this outside the blue parrot. a traditional karaoke bar but a live mic and a stage is hard to come by so i take advantage.
'that was funny,' came a voice from behind me.
what?
i turn and pause for a moment to readjust the sack. when i can see and breathe i discover wanda smiling back at me.
'that was funny. i had never heard margaritaville performed so blue. i never even knew he talked about current events or why dogs are angry.'
ah, i never saw you. sorry.
'no, it was good. you want to come in for a drink?'
boy that sounds great but i...
'c'mon i came with some friends from work. it will be fun.'
it does sound great, really...
'i'm buying.'
huh, well i can't turn that down.

a joke
what do you get when you drink five irish car bombs?
to drunk to know the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment